It is the fastest-growing plant that belongs to the grass family, Poaceae. There are about 1500 species found in a wide variety of climatic conditions ranging from cold mountains to hot tropical regions. It is mostly found in Australia, North and South America, Asia and Sub-Saharan Africa, best being the tropical climate. The Giant bamboos are the largest members of the grass family. Certain species can grow 91 cm (3 ft) within a 24-hour period, at a rate of almost 4 cm (1.5 in) an hour. Most species flower rarely at very long intervals of 65 or 120 years. Some species of are short and herbaceous.
1.As compared to other plants, Bamboo have a tendency to release 30% more oxygen into the atmosphere and absorb more carbon dioxide. Due to these ideal qualities, they can be used to decrease the quantity of greenhouse gases emitted into the atmosphere and clean the air.
2. Plantation and maintenance of these plants is much simpler. It does not need pesticides or fertilizers since enough nutrients are provided by its fallen leaves.
3. Bamboos’ charcoal is highly porous and capable of absorbing odor causing bacteria. It is also used to remove salt from sea water and filter out harmful substances.
4. It is used as an ingredient in various foods and medicines to treat infections and speed up healing of the wounds.
5. Lucky Bamboo – inside houses and business places is believed to bring happiness and prosperity. Though called Lucky bamboo, it is not a true bamboo and belongs to different taxonomic order.
6. Raw bamboo shoots contain toxins which can be destroyed by boiling. Bamboo shoots are used in several Asian dishes.
1. Bamboo has a higher compressive strength than wood, brick, or concrete and a tensile strength of that of steel. Due to this unusual quality it is widely used in construction industry.
2. It is also used in the manufacture of floors, furniture, walls etc. Bamboo has natural deodorizing properties and therefore used in deodorizers, bed sheets, shirts, socks, linens etc.
3. Bamboo fibre, having insulation properties, is ideal for making garments that help maintain body temperatures (cools when hot and warms when cold).