The Roman walls of Lugo were constructed in the 3rd century , stretching over 2 kilometers around the historic centre of Lugo in Galicia (Spain). The fortifications were inscribed on UNESCO’s World Heritage List in late 2000 as “the finest example of late Roman fortifications in western Europe.
The city walls, incredibly well preserved, were built between 263 and 276 A.D. to defend the Roman town of Lucus Augusti (present-day Lugo) against local tribesmen and Germanic invaders. The walls formed part of a complex of fortifications which also included a moat and an intervallum (the clearing between the walls and the city). The entire length of the walls is around 2,120 m, enclosing an area of 34.4 hectares. Not all of the town was enclosed by walls: much of the southeastern part of the town remained unprotected, while in other places unused areas were enclosed by walls. The width of the walls is around 4.2 m and the height of the walls varies between 8 and 12 m. Access to the walled enclosure is through 10 gateways, of which five were opened after 1853 due to urban growth.